Airport Express as Client/Extender question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iqwertyi, Sep 29, 2010.

1. iqwertyi macrumors regular

So, first time setting up an Airport Express.
    I had read that the Airport Express can be used as a range extender so I figure I'd give it a shot.

Using the Airport Utility, I followed the directions to set it up to "connect to my current wireless network". It found my SSID and I was able to put my password there too. I had named the Airport Express "iqwertyi Extended".

Everything looks fine, now my question is, am I suppose to see this SSID? Or am I only supposed to see the original router "iqwertyi"?

The reason I ask is that I don't see the new "iqwertyi Extended" SSID and connecting to the original "iqwertyi" on the other side of the house doesn't seem to have a better connection. I had plugged in the Airport Express in the middle of the house, but not sure if I set this up properly.

Thanks.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

you need to set it up to extend the network, not connect.

and once you set it up, you won't see that ssid as a separate network.

3. iqwertyi thread starter macrumors regular

I went through the apple support faq
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1731

and I set it up as they state in steps 7 and 8
    7. Select "Connect to my current wireless network."
    8. Be sure that "Extend the range of my AirPort wireless network" is not selected (this option is used only for WDS).

The instructions are a little confusing since I did want to extend it but the faq says not to.

4. iqwertyi thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, finally got an answer from tech support.
    Unfortunately, the airport express cannot extend the wifi if your main router is NOT an Apple router. :(

Time to look for another solution.