Airport Express as router for iPhone

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tron72, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Tron72 macrumors member

Tron72

I am trying to connect my Airport Express (w/Air Tunes) so that I may have Wi-Fi access on my iPhone at home. Currently I have a late 2006 iMac that is connected by Ethernet to a Westell 6100 modem (Verizon DSL). Ideally I would like to keep the iMac connected as is. Is there a way to keep my iMac connected via Ethernet cable while still using the Airport Express as a Wi-Fi router for my iPhone? I tried to connect my AE to my modem with the Ethernet cable, which worked, the Airport Utility was able to locate my router. However I could not get online with both my iMac and iPhone. When connected this way, I'm sure I have some preference that is incorrect in my Network settings but before I resolve that, I'd like to see if I can maintain my Ethernet connection for my iMac and use the AE as my Wi-Fi router for my iPhone? Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. IMcD23 macrumors regular

IMcD23

Iowa, United States, Earth, Milky Way, . . .
    Set up your mac with the Ethernet internet to broadcast out wireless. Go to system prefs, Sharing, Internet tab, share your connection from BUILT IN ETHERNET to computers using AIRPORT. Then hit airport options and choose the name, security, etc. Hit ok and hit the start button, now you should have wireless from your mac. So as long as the ethernet is connected to the imac, you should have wireless.

IMcD23

3. Tron72 thread starter macrumors member

Tron72

Thanks for the quick response. I'll try your instructions as soon as I get home. I do have one question though, if the ethernet cable is connected from my DSL modem to my iMac (current set-up), what gets plugged into the Airport Express since the ethernet cable is already in use providing my iMac's internet connection. There's a port for an ethernet cable and a USB port on the Airport Express. Thanks.

4. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

Why dont you just connect the ethernet cable to the airport express and from there broadcast it wirelessly to your iMac and iPhone?

5. IMcD23 macrumors regular

IMcD23

Iowa, United States, Earth, Milky Way, . . .
    This way you don't have to use the AE unless you want to extend the network or connect an ethernet device to the network(instructions elsewhere)

IMcD23