Airport Express as Time Machine????

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chrisob, Jan 12, 2009.

1. chrisob macrumors newbie

Does anybody know if you can use Airport Express (not Extreme) with Time Machine by mounting an external hard drive off it. Everywhere I read it only says it can be done with Airport Extreme. And that the usb port on the Express is for a printer only.

Any help would be appreciated :D

2. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Unfortunately, the Airport Express can't do what you want.

The USB plug only works for remote Printers. You can't hook up a remote HDD to it.

What Airport Express does that Airport Extreme and Time Capusule can't do is AirTunes.

3. chrisob thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a pity. Will just have to get the extreme so. Thanks for d reply tho:D

4. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Well I've just got myself an Airport Express as well. I wish there could be USB disk support.

I don't really understand why AP Extreme does not do AirTunes ... otherwise I would have gone AE Extreme.

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

If the Express did everything the Extreme does, who would by an Extreme? And think of the premium Apple would put on such a device to make up for lost revenue...

But moreso, and I don't really know anything about USB controllers or whatnot, but it may be that the size of the Express is what's limiting it. They've already crammed enough into such a small bundle.