Airport Express as wireless extender for D-Link DIR-655?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tikidoc, Mar 30, 2010.

1. tikidoc macrumors regular

tikidoc

I am a Windows user at the moment and plan to get a MBP in a few months. I am currently using a D-Link DIR-655 router. My house is a 2 story plus basement, and the D-link pretty much needs to be in the basement. We get excellent wifi reception in much of the house, but it is very spotty on the 2nd floor (an open to the first floor loft) and on the end of the first floor of the house opposite the router.

I like the idea of being able to use AirTunes, so I was thinking of buying an Airport Express as an extender to get usable reception throughout the house. I figure eventually, I may replace the D-Link with an Airport Extreme.

So can I do this wirelessly or do I have to wire the Express to the D-Link? Doing so would involve making holes in things that I don't want to make holes in, so I will put up with a spotty wifi network rather than getting an extender. Our house is a log home with hardwood floors and wood walls and ceilings throughout, so it is not as easy as patching some drywall if we decide to get rid of the wire/hole someday.

I am not a power user, not a gamer and if I want to download huge files, I can do so on the laptop in the basement. I just want a decent wireless connection throughout the house, and would like the ability to stream iTunes.

And if the Airport cannot be a repeater for the D-Link, what about the reverse, with the Airport as the base and the D-Link as the repeater?

Thanks for any help you can give. I am new to Macs (at least ones produced in the last 20 years), and have only set up one wireless network before, using the D-Link above. So if I am asking any stupid questions, please be patient with me.

2. tikidoc thread starter macrumors regular

tikidoc

Bumping up to see if anyone can help. Thanks!

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

you can use ethernet over power to get the signal to the remote express. I've never used one, so can't recommend a specific model.
    but here is an example

according to this post on the d-link forums, it doesn't support WDS

or, WDS should work with the dd-wrt firmware, but i just looked, and unfortunately, your router doesn't support dd-wrt.