Airport Express as Wireless Switch? (I think I mean "switch")

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Bartolo, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Bartolo macrumors newbie

Greetings.

I've got some audio hardware that requires an ethernet connection, and I'm hoping that I can use an Airport Express to provide it. I've got a latest-gen Time Capsule, and a prev-gen Airport Extreme two floors above that 'extends' the wifi. Can I just run a short cat5 cable between the audio hardware and an Airport Express and create an ethernet connection that way? Any special setup required?

TIA :)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can do this. The Express need to join your existing network first. But after that, it'll work pretty well.

3. Bartolo thread starter macrumors newbie

How will I know that it's joined my wifi network -- will I see it in the Airport utility? TIA!

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

When setting it up in Airport Utility, it'll give you four options in the Wireless tab for the Wireless Mode. One of them is "Join a wireless network". It'll then ask you for your wireless network name and password. Once its done, it'll be ready to go. If that mode doesn't work, use the "Extend a wireless network" I know for a fact that this mode allows wired connections via the Express.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Yes. You'll use Airport Utility to configure the new Express. The Assistant will walk you through several options. Just pick the one that sounds like what you want, and it'll configure the rest for you. When it's all done, you should see both your TC and your Express in Airport Utility.

6. andy.barron macrumors 6502

You will yes. Also it will need to be set up as 'extend wireless network' for the enet port to act as a LAN port I believe.

Hope that helps:)