AirPort Express Base Station. Is it broken?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by YS2003, Apr 20, 2009.

1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

How can I know my AirPort Express Base Station is broken? A few days ago, I had to reset the unit to troubleshoot the internect connection (it turns out the cable company needs to fix the wire in the basement).
    Since then, all of my Macs stopped detecting my AirPort Express Base Station (even without getting connected to the Internet, the base station can be recognized by Macs). Does that mean it is broken? I see the orange light on (as there is no Internet connection until the cable company fixes the wires).

2. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

WiFi. Macs should detect the presence of AirPort Express Base Station regarldess of its connectivity to the Internet (as long as it is pluged to the power source). But, mine does not detect my Airport Express Base Station anymore.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Couple things you can try: 1) connect a Mac to the Express via an Ethernet cable, see if you can configure it in Airport Utility, and then disconnect the Ethernet cable when done, see if you see the Express then 2) have you tried a factory reset of the Express? It's essentially the same procedure as a hard reset, except you press the reset button until the light starts blinking, unplug the base station, then plug it back in still holding on the reset. This will of course wipe off all traces of the configuration but will guarantee that the base station has been reset completely and should have the default network name of Apple Network <MAC address without colons>.

4. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

Thanks for posting. I will do what you have suggested once I am back home. I think I did not do the resetting process you mentioned above. So, it is highly likely I did it wrong.

5. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

I have been having a similar issue with a 1st gen airport express only it flashes with a rapid green LED yet none of my macs or pc detect it by Ethernet or wifi. I have tried the factory reset and multiple different macs and versions of airport utility.