Airport Express Base Station Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by freddy425, Apr 18, 2010.

1. freddy425 macrumors regular

I am looking into getting a router for the my apartment next year at school and was looking into the Airport Express Base Station.

My apartment is around 680 sq. feet and the interent in the building is not wireless and comes through an ethernet cable. I was wondering is, do I need to purchase this Airport Express Base Station and plug my ethernet cable into that and then I can create a password locked wireless network throughout my apartment. And the Airport Express be enough to give me a full signal anywhere in my apartment?

Thanks for the help, I'm not familiar with networking so any advice/help will be much appreciated.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

I would check to see if wireless routers are allowed at your school/apartment first, but if they are the Express will work for you. They'll also give you pointers on how to set it up if it is allowed. Just be aware that if it is required that your router be in bridge mode on their network, others on the network will also have access to any shared computers connected to your wireless network.

3. freddy425 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, they are allowed, they told me that everyone buys a wireless router and sets up a private one for their apartment

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Oh, well then the Express would be perfect for you, so long as you don't need any Ethernet ports for wired devices. The size of your apartment should pose no problem for the Express's range, and if you find you are getting interference from other wireless networks, you can change the channel to one that isn't being used. Your original post was dead on for how to get it working also. For a full comparison of Apple's AirPort base stations, you can visit this site:

http://www.apple.com/wifi/

5. freddy425 thread starter macrumors regular

Great, thanks again for the help