AirPort Express base station question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by techluvr, May 31, 2010.

1. techluvr macrumors regular

Hi, I have a (probably really stupid) question about the functions of the AirPort Express. Here goes: If I have it plugged into an outlet that is not close to my router, can I join the Wi-Fi network already being broadcast and then broadcast that internet connection through the AE? (example: having hard drives, speakers, etc. plugged in so I can use them while also having internet through the same connection) An ethernet cable will not reach all the way upstairs and into my room, so I was wondering if that function could be replicated through Wi-Fi. Sorry if this does not make sense, if not I will attempt to clarify. Thanks a lot!

2. kirreip macrumors regular

You probably can join your already existing wi-fi network and broadcast the internet connection with it. In the AirPort Utility you need to choose "wireless" and then select "extend wireless network". It doesn't work with every wi-fi router however. You just have to try it out, if you have already bought it. If it works, then you can plug your speakers in normally. But with an airport express, you can't plug in hard drives, only printers!

Tell us if it worked...

3. techluvr thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I don't already have it, just wanted to know before I bought it. Thanks!

4. kirreip macrumors regular

You don't have any possibility to test before you buy it? Wi-fi is always a little tricky. At least make sure you can give it back it doesn't work with your router (or if the range is not enough)

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Just to offer my two cents: While the AirPort Express can be a wireless client of your existing network, it cannot extend the range like it can for a network originating from an AirPort Extreme or Time Capsule. For more information about client mode, read this. Also understand that the USB port on the Express is for printers only; you cannot connect an external hard drive to it and share it over the network, this capability is reserved for the Extreme or Time Capsule.

6. techluvr thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Jedimeister. The Apple support documents I read, I could not understand. You answered my question though.