Airport Express Base station

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by medi.freak, Oct 2, 2011.

1. medi.freak macrumors regular

I have a question about this product: I understand, that I can play music from my iTunes library on my MBP or Ipod touch, if my stereo system is connected to the Airport Express. That is pretty cool =) Is it any different than the thing from Belkin though?
    And one more thing, if it can do that, I am completely blown away, and I will buy it immediately =P. I see that the AE has a USB input, so I was thinking if I can hook up my external hard drive to the AE and do my backups wirelessly? If that does not work, is there any other way to do the backups or simply use the external hard drive wirelessly? (Considering I already have an external hard drive and won't buy the Time Capsule ;) )
    Thanks a lot for the help!

2. hafr macrumors 68030

No, you can't connect an external USB HDD to the Airport Express - the USB port is for printers only.

3. medi.freak thread starter macrumors regular

ah... I was already hoping that might work. Thanks anyway. I read somewhere, that with most routers that works though? Can anyone confirm that? I don't care how slow it is to a USB or even firewire connection, I just think it's an elegant solution.

4. hafr macrumors 68030

Yeah, if the router has a USB port :) I bought the Airport Extreme and connected an external USB-drive to it that I use as a network drive and for backups. Transfer speeds are between 6-15 MBps on WiFi. It's fast enough for my needs, so I'm happy with it :)

5. medi.freak thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, that is what I will do then. We'll see what kinda router my room mate has when I move in the next few weeks =P
    Thanks again =)