Airport Express Basestation with Dlink router

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EngBrian, Sep 10, 2007.

1. EngBrian macrumors regular

I have looked through some threads and can't seem to find anything less than one or two years old so I am going to rehash this topic and see if there have been new developments since the old threads were written.

I have an airport express basestation and want to run my stereo in the living room wirelessly. I just moved and there is no ethernet cable to plug into anywhere in the room. So I am looking at buying a wireless router and connecting the APX to it via wireless to act as a repeater but also to allow wireless music and printing. I had heard that you can only do this with other apple products as a basestation but wanted to hear if that had changed. The router i am looking at is the "D-Link Xtreme G 802.11g Wireless Router (DI-624)" mostly because it is on sale at best buy (canada) right now.

Can this work or will the APX still only work as a standalone for wireless audio/printing?

thanks.

2. jhsfosho macrumors 6502

I am also wondering this, because my stereo is not in a place where I can run ethernet to a Airport Express. I think I heard that it can be used for AirTunes, but that I can't plug in my xbox 360 to play xbox live using the express as a gateway, unless I am using a Apple Airport wireless router.

3. EngBrian thread starter macrumors regular

does anyone have any further thoughts for us?