AirPort Express Bridge Question

macuser154

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
UK
I have my AirPort Express set to Join my BT HomeHub's wireless network since I get very poor wireless signal around the house. When I check my wireless devices, I still get one bar of signal, I checked the AirPort Utility and it says that only one device is connected to it.

Is there a way to force devices to connect to the AirPort instead of the HomeHub?

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Are you connected to the Airport Express and getting one bar? Or is it auto connecting to the home hub?

If it's the first is something you're just going to have to live with, unless you find a better place to put the Airport.

If it's the second can be resolved easily by going into System Preferences > Network > select 'Airport' > Advanced and move your Airport Express to the top of the list.

macuser154

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
UK
Sorry, the AirPort is set to "Join" the HomeHub. So it extends the existing network. The Airport isn't a separate network.

The wireless devices are closer to the Airport than the HomeHub but they aren't connecting to it, the device that is connecting to the Airport is getting a full signal.

macuser154

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
UK
A MacBook Pro, an iPad, and an iPhone aren't connecting to the AirPort, they are all still connecting to the HomeHub.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Hmmm, I think it might be worth setting up the Airport as a separate network, that's what I've done and it's much easier to set as a deafult, you can still set the Airport to bridge, so you won't have any network conflicts to worry about.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Sorry, the AirPort is set to "Join" the HomeHub. So it extends the existing network. The Airport isn't a separate network.

The wireless devices are closer to the Airport than the HomeHub but they aren't connecting to it, the device that is connecting to the Airport is getting a full signal.
It sounds like your settings are wrong. First you need to go to the Extreme and under Wireless check the "Allow this Network to be Extended" box. Then on your Express you need to change from "Join..." to "Extend a wireless Network".

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
It sounds like your settings are wrong. First you need to go to the Extreme and under Wireless check the "Allow this Network to be Extended" box. Then on your Express you need to change from "Join..." to "Extend a wireless Network".
That only works if the network you're extending is an Airport Express or Extreme if I remember correctly.

macuser154

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
UK
When I select Extend, I get an error message saying that the network I want to extend can't be extended.

I was hoping I could bridge the two routers wirelessly

macuser154

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
UK
Hmmm, I think it might be worth setting up the Airport as a separate network, that's what I've done and it's much easier to set as a deafult, you can still set the Airport to bridge, so you won't have any network conflicts to worry about.
Is there a way I can do this without using an ethernet cable?

macuser154

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
UK
I've decided to use an Ethernet Powerline Switch to bridge the two, works great. A lot better than running a big ethernet cable up the stairs...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.