AirPort Express Bridge Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macuser154, Jul 27, 2010.

1. macuser154 macrumors 6502

I have my AirPort Express set to Join my BT HomeHub's wireless network since I get very poor wireless signal around the house. When I check my wireless devices, I still get one bar of signal, I checked the AirPort Utility and it says that only one device is connected to it.

Is there a way to force devices to connect to the AirPort instead of the HomeHub?

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Are you connected to the Airport Express and getting one bar? Or is it auto connecting to the home hub?

If it's the first is something you're just going to have to live with, unless you find a better place to put the Airport.

If it's the second can be resolved easily by going into System Preferences > Network > select 'Airport' > Advanced and move your Airport Express to the top of the list.

3. macuser154 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, the AirPort is set to "Join" the HomeHub. So it extends the existing network. The Airport isn't a separate network.

The wireless devices are closer to the Airport than the HomeHub but they aren't connecting to it, the device that is connecting to the Airport is getting a full signal.

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Oh ok, well I guess it's good you're getting full signal at the Airport, what devices aren't connecting to the Airport?

5. macuser154 thread starter macrumors 6502

A MacBook Pro, an iPad, and an iPhone aren't connecting to the AirPort, they are all still connecting to the HomeHub.

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Hmmm, I think it might be worth setting up the Airport as a separate network, that's what I've done and it's much easier to set as a deafult, you can still set the Airport to bridge, so you won't have any network conflicts to worry about.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It sounds like your settings are wrong. First you need to go to the Extreme and under Wireless check the "Allow this Network to be Extended" box. Then on your Express you need to change from "Join..." to "Extend a wireless Network".

8. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

That only works if the network you're extending is an Airport Express or Extreme if I remember correctly.

9. macuser154 thread starter macrumors 6502

When I select Extend, I get an error message saying that the network I want to extend can't be extended.

I was hoping I could bridge the two routers wirelessly

10. macuser154 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there a way I can do this without using an ethernet cable?

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Sorry, I thought you had an Extreme as your base.

12. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Sadly not, I forgot to mention my Express is connected via a 15m ethernet cable routed under the carpet into the hallway.

13. Pillar macrumors 6502

Pillar

14. macuser154 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've decided to use an Ethernet Powerline Switch to bridge the two, works great. A lot better than running a big ethernet cable up the stairs...