Airport Express Bridging - WiFi Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Gios, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Gios macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am currently using this specific setup:

- Airport Extreme with WiFi N model A1143 (quite old, probably 2007-2008)
    - Airport Express with WiFi N model A1392 (latest generation)

I'm using the Airport Extreme to create a 2.4GHz WiFi N only network (I can't use 5GHz only because we have two iPhone 4 in the house), and the Airport Express sits in my room to extend the signal.
    We have a cordless in the house but we rarely use it, so there shouldn't be too much interference.

I'm currently having issues every now and then with WiFi, but it got annoying lately since I'm using Facetime daily for a couple of hours a day.
    Basically the problem sits with the bridging: the network the Airport Extreme generates works like a charm 99.9% of the time, and I can tell because when I'm in the living room (which is where the Extreme is) I almost never have issues.
    I bought the latest airport Express late last year since my old one broke down (power supply failure), but here comes the problem: it's supposed to extend the WiFi network and it does so, but every now and then the internet goes away (not the WiFi signal). Usually I restart it and it's fine again, sometimes I restart both stations (manually unplugging them, I find that software restarting isn't as effective for some reason).
    Also I have an ethernet cable plugged in the Express, which goes into my desktop PC: it seems that temporarily disconnecting this cable while I'm using facetime might be improving things, but I'm not 100% positive there's a connection between the facts here.

Can anyone provide a solution to this problem? Suggestions?

Thanks

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

No suggestions :/ good luck.

Ive got 3 networks setup in similar ways. Without that issue.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try downgrading the Express to 7.6.1 and also doing a factory reset.

4. Gios thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the idea!
    The problem is that I just bought the airport Express so it only has FW 7.6.4 installed. Do you know where I can download older FW versions?

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

In AirPort Utility 6 you can option click the firmware version and downgrade.

6. Gios thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, sorry for the late answer.
    I'm afraid this may be true for older devices that have the firmware stored (for example, I can downgrade the FW of my Airport Extreme), but since I bought the Express just last year the only version it shows is the current one.
    Do you think you can upload 7.6.1 here? I wouldn't know where it's stored tho.

Thanks

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

In AirPort Utility 6 on a Mac (running 10.7 or higher) it will let you download the firmwares. Other versions of AirPort Utility like the one for Windows and iOS require it to be previously installed.