Airport Express - can I bin my Netgear router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Karvel, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Karvel, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012

Karvel macrumors regular

Hello,

I currently use a Netgear DG834G v3 to connect to the internet. If I bought an Airport Express (2012 version), could I use that to replace this router? It has not been performing well lately so that is my main area of concern; as opposed to wanting to 'extend' that router's coverage.

Also - in terms of how far the WiFi single will travel, I presume it will be at least the same as the Netgear? I'm not sure of the exact spec option to check between the two.

Many thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

As the AirPort Extreme Base Station is also a router, you can get rid of your router. I use an AEBS since late 2008 or so and it is still working fine, despite some kinks, but not as much kinks as my previous routers except a Netgear I once had ten years ago.

3. Karvel thread starter macrumors regular

Hello - sorry I meant Express instead; is that also a router in the same sense?

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Yes, all Airports are routers.

As for signal strength, all routers seem to vary, regardless of what they say on the box. I haven't heard many complaints about the Expresses in that regard, but I'd but from a shop that has a good return policy just in case.

5. Karvel thread starter macrumors regular

Hm seems I've been confused by the generic lingo I hear in England. People talk about having a "broadband router"/"router" that receives the telephone cable from the wall and distributes the Internet via WiFi or Ethernet.

However it seems that the AirPort Extreme/Express does not have a modem (a term I don't hear often because of everyone talking about "routers") -- therefore I can't really bin my Netgear router (or router with modem we might now say) otherwise how would I connect to the Internet?

6. simsaladimbamba

Yep, you need to use the Netgear as modem if you do not have a separate modem. Look into the manual of the Netgear or online how to facilitate that.

7. azahar macrumors newbie

azahar

ADSL Modem

All the Apple Airport devices use PPPoE to connect to the Internet. However, in the UK, most if not all ADSL services use PPPoA so you need something to convert between the two.
    One method is to keep your existing Netgear to do the job, and act as the modem, or you can buy something like this for around £50-60 off Amazon.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor120

Personally, I use this method and my Internet connection is very stable.

8. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

I too use the Draytek + Airport Extreme. Also very stable. Haven't needed to reboot it in more than a year, but it has been powercycled a few times as I changed the general network layouts.