Airport Express - can it be used as a private wireless network for wired connection?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by megastuff999, Oct 9, 2013.

1. megastuff999 macrumors member

Background
    I'm setting up a testing environment for web development using Ghostlabs so that I can view a webpage on my main computer and have a number of devices update and show the same page. To do this, the main computer and devices (e.g. iPhone, iPad etc) must be on the same network.

Current setup
    My Mac Pro is on a wired ethernet connection (no wireless). My IP address is 192.168.10.14.

My Question
    Is it possible to use the Airport Express and connect it to the Mac Pro via ethernet so that it creates a little private Wireless network that the other devices can access. The wireless part doesn't need access to the internet necassarily - it just needs to be able to access the same IP my Mac Pro can see.

Is this possible with the Airport Express?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Doesn't your Mac Pro have wifi? Should be able to set up an ad-hoc network with that, no AirPort needed.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Yes it is. Although I don't know of any way to isolate AP's created Wi-Fi network from access to WAN.
    But provided your Mac Pro has also an AirPort card, you could create a Wi-Fi access point for up to 5 devices also directly in OS X, without the Express.
    http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/tips-shortcuts/quick-tip-use-your-mac-as-a-wi-fi-hotspot-and-more/

4. megastuff999 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that, the MacTuts link/setup actually looks like it will give me everything I need. :D