Airport express cannot connect to network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by natn22, Apr 6, 2008.

1. natn22 macrumors newbie

Hi. Not sure how many IT problems a person can encounter in a few weeks, but i'm hitting them all! I've just moved into a new flat and tried to plug my airport express in and connect to my existing wireless network (ie i've had it working in other locations before, though not since i upgraded to leopard recently - not sure if thats relevant).

It just flashes amber and i cant get it to connect. I have tried to reset it many different ways, and have a few times gone all the way through the installation process, to where it says "airport was successfully updated. You can close this window or wait for the apple wireless device to start". And then it hangs and airport utility crashes, and airport starts flashing amber again.

I have updated with all the latest software updates, though i'm unsure what firmware the actual airport is running.

can anyone help?!

thanks, natalie

2. eranthomson macrumors newbie

This worked for me

Just got off the phone with Mac Tech Support.

Here's the fix:

1. Connect your Airport Express to the Mac via an ethernet cable (after a hard reset)
    2. In Airport Utility, double click the AX icon
    3. Select "wireless"
    4. Change channel from "automatic" to 10 (auto always sets to 13)
    5. Go through the other panes and untick any boxes that have "over WAN" in them.
    6. Name your network
    7. Create and enter a network password
    8. Update settings
    9. Click on airport icon in your menu bar, select your network
    10. Open Safari and see if you're online.

The problem I'm told has to do with so many other things (phones, microwaves etc.) hogging Ch. 13 space. If you still have issues, try a a different channel until you find one that works.

Also, you don't really need to rename your Device (AX) just your network so it's recognizable.
    Good luck out there.