airport express cannot get valid IP address when extending network

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nick_harambee, Jul 13, 2009.

1. nick_harambee macrumors regular

hi

i am trying to extend a network with an airport express but the airport express cannot get a valid IP address and flashes amber.

my setup is as follows: netgear router/modem which handles PPPoE connected via ethernet to time capsule which handles the wireless network.

time capsule is working fine and has a valid IP address but airport express doesn't.

i have checked 'allow this network to be extended' on the TC, and connection sharing is in bridge mode.

i wonder if someone could help me troubleshoot this

thanks

nick

2. kropotov macrumors member

i thing, in bridge mode express must not have own IP. it only transfer IP range from DHCP on router

3. nick_harambee thread starter macrumors regular

so what do i need to do to get it working?

4. kropotov macrumors member

to advise, i must to know NET parameters.

1. do you use DHCP on time capsule?
    2. Have you MAC address filter started on Time capsule?
    3. What kind of encryption TC use?
    4. Have express see your WIFI network?

5. nick_harambee thread starter macrumors regular

1. yes, i am using DHCP on time capsule. IP address of router is 192.168.0.1. IP address of TC is 192.168.0.2

2. not sure what you mean by MAC address filter. Mac Address Access Control under 'Access' is set to 'not enabled' on the TC

3. not sure what you mean by encryption. do you mean wireless security? there is no wireless security set at the moment

4. yes the express can see the wireless network

6. kropotov macrumors member

you understand me correct.

next question.
    what IP range provide TC for WIFI network?

7. nick_harambee thread starter macrumors regular

TC is in bridge mode so no range is specified

8. kropotov macrumors member

ok
    now i understand what happened

you sad that TC connect to router by ethernet cable? correct?

1. you should CREATE WIFI network on TC with different IP range (by default it use 10.10.10.1-10.10.10.256
    2. Connect Express to TC in bridge mode
    3. enjoy

9. nick_harambee thread starter macrumors regular

yes, the TC connects to the router via ethernet

before i attempted to extend the network using the airport express, i was told to set up the TC in bridge mode, otherwise I get a Double NAT error on the TC.

10. kropotov macrumors member

what is this?

11. nick_harambee thread starter macrumors regular

Double NAT error comes up when both the netgear router and the TC are handling NAT/distributing IP addresses. I was advised to let the router handle this and run the TC in bridge mode.

12. kropotov macrumors member

look, read carefully what i wrote.
    your router DHCP range 192.168.0......
    you do not need use SAME range in WIFI
    use different - 10.10.10.10......

13. nick_harambee thread starter macrumors regular

i did try this before and still had a double NAT error. but now i set TC to share a public IP address and it seems to be working. The only trouble is that the airport signal is still very weak, though it does fluctuate, and the airport express is almost right next to my laptop.

The Airport Express has an IP address 10.0.0.4 - should it have its own IP address? Is there a way of checking whether the express is actually extending the network/boosting the wireless signal, i.e. where is the laptop getting its signal from?

thanks

14. kropotov macrumors member

use AirportUtility->Manual Setup->Wireless->Wireless Option->check "Use Interference Robustness"

yes

yes. look on WIFI signal strength in upper screen, then turn off Express and check again. If you will see difference in signal ... then... understand? ;)

15. nick_harambee thread starter macrumors regular

thanks a lot for all your help kropotov. the extended wireless network seems to be working well now. i used an app called APGrapher and then walked around the house monitoring signal strength and as i got nearer the Airport Express its signal got stronger and the Time Capsule signal got weaker, so all seems to be working as it should.

Now I just need to work out why my Mac Pro can't connect to the wireless network. In Network Diagnostics it asks for a password for the network when I haven't set a password. I will start a new thread on this

Best Wishes

Nick