Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jekite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
I've had a lot of difficulty figuring out how to manually change the channel of my Airport Express. I have followed the directions posted on forums and on Apple's site:

To change the channel of a 2.4 GHz network:

1. Open AirPort Utility, located in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder on a computer using Mac OS X, and in Start > All Programs > AirPort on a computer using Windows.
2. Select your base station, and then choose Manual Setup from the Base Station menu. Enter the base station password if necessary.
3. Click AirPort in the toolbar, and then click Wireless.
4. Choose a new channel from the Channel pop-up menu.

The issue is that when you select wireless there is not a channel option. Under summary the channel is listed as automatic, and when you click channel it just takes you directly to the wireless section again, only to find that again there is no channel selection option. What am I doing wrong, any help would be greatly appreciated!

ahmed.hassan

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2007
Could you upload screenshots of every stage you're going through, to give us a better idea of what may be wrong? I've included mine as an example. What are you using your AE for? To create/join/extend a wireless network?

Attachments

• Picture-1.jpg
    Picture-1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 692
  • Picture-2.jpg
    Picture-2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 569
  • Picture-3.jpg
    Picture-3.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 737

jekite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
Thanks for your help. Here are the screen shots. I am using AE to join an existing wireless network in order to use Airtunes-which is why I am trying to change channels due to interference from my original wireless network.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    74.5 KB · Views: 497
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    62.9 KB · Views: 512

jekite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
It unfortunately does not provide all of the options that your screenshot demonstrates. Is there a file setting I need to change under System Preferences?

ahmed.hassan

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2007
Ah, it's become clear why the option is not available. AE will automatically configure its radio channel to match the channel your wireless router/access point is broadcasting at. This is to ensure correct communication between the AE and your wireless router/access point. If you were to change the channel of your AE, then you would not be able to connect it to your wireless network. What kind of interference are you experiencing?

jekite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
Airtunes periodically will drop out for anywhere from 3-15 seconds every minute or so, it's really irritating, and it's all in the same room with no cordless phones or microwaves. Any ideas why this is happening?

ahmed.hassan

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2007
Only a hypothesis: Some routers, the Wanadoo Livebox being one that I know of, require a "pairing" process to allow safe connection to their wireless networks. This involves manually pressing a button on the router, which makes the router "available" to connect to for an allotted time period. I believe that once connected the device that is connected to the router is in some way being added to the access control list, in some bizarre way that I don't understand, having not owned such a router. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Connection to the router is still possible without this, but can sometimes be intermittent and reliable, I think. What kind of router do you have? Any other information that might be useful?

jekite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
It's a wireless router provided by my ISP, it's a Versalink router, on channel 11. The wireless signal is intermittent with or without airtunes or with or without being connected to AE. Airtunes works fine when used independently of being connected to the wireless network. I am one floor above the router and about 20 feet away from it.

PEcomStock

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
Airport Express vs Original Base Station (2001?)

I had a problem with my Internet connection recently. Apple checked out my existing base station. It showed a signal but Airport Utility could not find it with a scan. The support guy recommended I replace this OLD(c 2001) base station with a modern Airport Express. I picked it up and didn't have time to install it for a couple of days. By then my Internet connection was back without doing anything. A day later, I lost the connection again. So I called Comcast this time who eventually blamed the wiring and replaced then after 4 or 5 hours analyzing the situation.
I then decided it might make sense to install the new AE and called Apple for help. After going through two or three support people, the last guy led me though hooking the new AE into my home network and guess what? The old network had a better signal the new AE. I spent about four hours changing a couple of channels and other settings but so far the original still has a better signal. I still have not gotten the new AE to generate a strong signal. Is it just a matter of trying channels randomly or are some channels better than others?

udance4ever

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2005
I am having a similar issue.

my scenario is when I get on a cordless, music from my iPhone over AirPlay drops out. the WiFi signal itself seems ok - just the music stops.

because my Airport Express is paired to my Time Capsule - it says "Automatic" for the channel setting.

Because I have a cheap cordless where I can't even change the channel, I'm sure this will be resolved when I get a new model.

Love to hear any other ideas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.