Airport Express config question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Bandit27, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Bandit27 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Wondering if I can do something with my Airport Express. Can I take internet wirelessly from my base station (Airport Extreme) pick it up with my Airport Express, and feed it into my network capable TV, or is the LAN port on the express in-only? My Samsung TV has no LAN adapter and Best Buy et al want crazy prices for them. I already have an express.

Thanks,

Tyler

2. Wasabisjors macrumors member

Wasabisjors

Hiya,

Works as network-out too.

I tried it with my Time Capsule. Send the internet signal wirelessly to the Airport Express, which had a LAN cable connected to my Desktop PC.

3. Bandit27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for the info.

That is enough to give me the motivation to dig it out and try setting it up. just wanted to know if it was possible before I tried.

Tyler

4. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Just make sure your Airport Express is of the 11n kind, and not the older 11g model.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

since you have an extreme as your main base a G version will work, you have to set it to extend mode, but that brings in issues of it's own.

for the N, you can set it to "Join a wireless network", check "allow ethernet clients" and give it your network info.

i highly recommend plugging an ethernet cable from the express to your computer until you get it fully setup and have a solid green light. if you have a laptop, you can then turn your airport on the laptop off to check out the connection, once everything is up, then move it to the TV.

6. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

The 11g version can only do this in a WDS setting, which frankly is a royal pita. I'm sticking with "You need an 11n Airport Express".

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

==========
    ==========
    since he is not buying a new one, i gave the option in case the one owned is a G version.
    If buying one, definitely get an N, and not a used G from ebay, not to mention at a minimum the G ones are several years old