airport express conflict

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by benlee, Jun 14, 2007.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I have my speakers hooked up to my airport express through a receiver. Airtunes works like a charm. However, when i try to hook up my printer through usb to the express i get a distortion sound on the speakers. I have tried another usb cable and still no luck. I bought the airport express like 2 months ago....but never tried both speakers and printer hooked up at once till last night. should i try and return it? what should I do? any suggestions?

2. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

printer works fine.. its unbelievable. I don't know what to do. I dont really need to hook the printer up but at the same time i paid $90 for the thing and dont want it to be defective.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

do you haev another printer that you could hook up and try?? if it does it to both printers def take it back as the airport would be defective (somehow) i can print fine with my airtunes. other than that...im stumped :confused: :confused:

4. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

would they just exchange it or would i have to go without one while they did a diagnostic on it?

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

depends how bad it is i suppose. under warranty id say theyd send it back, then if it can t be fixed give you a new one.

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Does this "distortion" sound like a 60-cycle "hum" from the AC? If so, you probably have a ground loop problem which isn't something that's the fault of either the printer and/or the Airport Express.

7. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

that is stupid. its under warranty and i have to go without wireless while they try to fix it?
    Well i just shut everything off and plugged it all back in. I noticed that no noise came out of the speakers until i plugged in the printer (even though it was off). Don't know what i can conclude from that other than the fact that it may be that my printer is a piece of ****.

8. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

I read the description and I have no idea what any of that means. If that is it what could be causing it? you say its not the printer or the aiport then what is it? Im even more confused now.

9. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

The electricity wiring in your home may not be built properly. You can try a different plug to see if it makes a difference.

10. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

yeah so i already knew the wiring in my apartment sucked....now i know it sucks even more. After some fiddling i found that I only get noise when the printer is connected to the airport. I'm pretty sure that it is a ground loop. I tried plugging it in another power strip (im limited in the number of outlets nearby) and i had to turn the volume way up to hear the noise. I guess i will just use printer sharing which is just as good. sucks that my wiring is so bad. Thank you guys for helping me out with this. i would have never guessed it was a ground loop