Airport Express confusion...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jamescwarren, Mar 23, 2009.

1. jamescwarren macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

I'm thinking of buying a new Airport Express to go with my new MacBook Pro. I'm a little confused though. I don't have an Airport Extreme, just a standard Linksys router. Will the Express be able to pick up this wireless network and transmit it over ethernet to my old iMac G4? If not, will it still be able to do the whole wireless printing and music streaming? Thanks.

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

Yes, plug an ethernet cable into the Express and connect it to the Linksys.

3. jamescwarren thread starter macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

I mean though will the Express pick up the Linksys signal wirelessly, and then transmit the signal the the iMac over the ethernet port?

4. rikers_mailbox macrumors 6502a

Yes. Airport Express can connect to your existing wireless network and then provide network access via the Ethernet port to your iMac G4. By joining the network, the AExpress will also simultaneously provide AirTunes and Printer sharing.

5. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

oh wow! i was just about to post something like this!

thanks for confirming it for the OP it also confirmed it with mine as well.

I shall buy an airport express now and pick up the internet from Trendnet wireless router and link via ethernet..

however one question. can the airport express take the wireless signal from my trendnet router and emmit its own wireless signal. im just wondering cuz this one talked only about ethernet..

agh! another question. can other computers link to it? like say a desktop PC using a wireless card or via ethernet? thanks!

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

You might be able to do it, what you are talking about is WDS, or wirelessly extending a signal, people have mixed results depending on which non-apple base they are trying to extend, normally leaning towards not being able to make it work.

You can run an ethernet cable from your existing router to the express, and boost your wireless signal that way. just set the new express up with the same SSID, and security settings, but different channels. and your devices will automatically switch to the strongest signal.

also, make sure you buy the newer N version (instead of a used B/G) as the B/G won't let you join a wireless network and share the connection out the ethernet port.

7. brentsg macrumors 68040

I keep reading this but it's a myth. I've been using my release day B/G Express to join a wireless G network and share it to devices via Ethernet since day one.

8. waw74 macrumors 68030

I have 2 expresses, 1 G, 1 N.
    If you look at my post here, you can see there is a missing check box. I've also (just now, and in the past) tried to get a wired connection from the G express that is joined to my network , no dice.
    Are you sure you are joining, and not extending a network with WDS?
    I believe it will work in WDS mode, but that brings up the problems of trying to connect to a non :apple: base, and the drop in speed that you have when using wds.

9. brentsg macrumors 68040

Ah I see... Yes I'm using it as WDS. Anything I've got that needs much performance is in the N network.