Airport Express: connected to WD TV HD 2

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BennyJet, Oct 8, 2009.

1. BennyJet macrumors newbie

Hello. The Western Digital TV HD 2 is not out yet - however you may have seen it. Pretty much the same as the first version, but it will have an ethernet port.

I have a Netgear wireless router wired to my 20Mbps cable modem, and also wired to my PC. It connects wirelessly to my MacBook Pro.

If I were to connect an Airport Express to the ethernet port on the WD TV (or similar TV device) would I be able to then connect wirelessly to a NAS drive attached to my Netgear router? This would enable me to wirelessly stream movies on my NAS drive, through the Airport Express and onto the WD TV device, and into my LCD TV.

Been trying to find info on this online, but it seems sparse. Many thanks in advance.

:)

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

yes, you can have the express join your wireless network, and then check "allow ethernet clients" or something like that.

this only works on the N version that has been out since early last year, so if buying off ebay, buy carefully.

also when setting up, wire the express to your laptop via ethernet. You don't have to, but it tends to go a little smoother. once set up you can unplug and move the express to it's final location.

3. BennyJet thread starter macrumors newbie