Airport Express connecting to a USB Hard Drive through the internet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by swimlikehell, Aug 21, 2008.

1. swimlikehell macrumors member

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to connect to an External Hard drive connected to my Airport express's USB plug through the internet a.k.a non-local network location, or if it is not possible using the express if it can be done using the Airport Extreme r Time Capsule. I want to set up a hard drive I can access when I am not at my house. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

2. obradley48 macrumors newbie

I finally figured out how to do this- it is not a configuration of your airport extreme! It is your modem's (dsl or cable) firewall that needs to be configured. Once you have set up your modem to accept remote access, you can simply put in your ip address (google "what's my ip") to find out what your "real" ip address is (not your local 192.168....)

The hangup is that in order for your router (airport extreme) to function properly, it needs to be in bridge mode, which does not allow you to do port forwarding. Setting the share ip or distribute ip address brings up the right controls to do it, but then gives you the dreaded "double NAT" when you go to reset your extreme (blinks amber instead of green and tells you that you have a double NAT) Leave the airport extreme (don't know if it will work with express- I doubt it) in bridge mode, and correctly configure your modem- that is the trick!!!

I have done this and it works GREAT!!!

the only unfortunate thing is that all modems are a bit different with regard to setup- I have a westell 6100 dsl modem, and I could tell you how to do it for that specific model- again, I had to feel around in the dark until I got it right.

Good luck!