Airport Express Connection Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by graemesangels, Oct 3, 2008.

1. graemesangels macrumors member

I just bought a AirPort Express today and I have been trying to get it to work for the last two hours with no luck.

I have an Intel Macbook and a D-Link router and I am just trying to use the AX for AirTunes and wireless printing.

Each time I get to the point that AirPort Utility can't locate it I reset by holding down the reset button and I do the following.

I run AirPort Utility and locate the AX. At this point it tells me there are two warnings coming from the AX. One because it has default settings and the second because there is no ethernet wire connected (I don't have one and am trying to set it up wirelessly).

I then run the setup process (ie not manually), select my network that I want it to become a client on, enter the network password, name my AX, give it a password etc. Then I click update.

Everytime I update it to try and make it a client on my wireless network AirPort Utility loses sight of it and the amber light on the front continues to flash.

When I log back onto my regular wireless network I can see which wireless devices are connected to my router. My Macbook shows up and occasionally the AX will briefly be listed as connected but never for more than a second or two and AirPort Utility can't find it.

Despite being plugged into my stereo AirTunes does not work either.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Okay are you setting the Airport Express as a extender or AP? If it's the former you will need an Airport Extreme to able to extend. If it's the latter, you will need it to be connected via Ethernet.

I could be wrong, but that's from my experience.

3. graemesangels thread starter macrumors member

Im not trying to extend my network as I read that it's not easily done with a non-apple router. I'm merely trying to make it join my wireless network and use it to stream music to my stereo and print wirelessly.

I don't have any ethernet cables lying around and I was hoping I wouldn't have to go buy one in case that doesn't solve my problem but it seems that I may have to.

Thanks.

Any other suggestions?

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well my past experiences have been that Apple routers are very pricky when it comes to compatibility.

5. graemesangels thread starter macrumors member

Okay, so I tracked down an ethernet cable and tried the process again with my macbook connected via ethernet to the AirPort Express. This time I also manually entered all the routers information instead of relying on airport utility to figure it out.

Now everything is working much better. My new problem is that as soon as I disconnect the ethernet cable from I lose the AX. It seems like it's having a hard time staying connected to the router even though my macbook has no problem whatsoever in the same position.

AirPort Utility is actually now saying that the network I selected can't be found by the AX even though it's MAC address keeps showing up sporadically on the router.

Do AirPort Expresses have crappy antennas or is mine simply defective?