airport express+D-Link switch+xbox 360

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jerm1979, Dec 14, 2007.

1. jerm1979 macrumors newbie

i've been struggling with this problem for months and am about ready to give up. is there something i just don't understand?
    i have the standard comcast modem with one ethernet port. i want to be able to run my airport express and also wire in my xbox 360.
    i have an ethernet cable going from my comcast modem to my d-link 5 port desktop switch. there are two cables coming from the switch, one going to my ariport express and another going to my 360.
    my airport works but the 360 doesn't. if i restart the modem then i can get the xbox to work but i loose the wifi. what gives? what am i missing? any thoughts?

2. jer2eydevil88 macrumors regular

jer2eydevil88

You have to plug your comcast modem into a router with a built in switch and then into the 360 and Airport Express (which you will need to setup as an access point), you cannot distribute an IP address from a cable/dsl modem with only an airport express and a switch.

The airport express doesn't offer the same functionality of say the Airport Extreme or similar wireless/wired routers. The Airport Express is just a wireless router/ Access Point.

Go buy a linksys WRT54GL its a great little router for $50 that runs linux and will work great with Apple products. You can still attach your airport express to the new wireless network and use it to play music.

:-D