Airport Express Dead - What is the life expectancy?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hobbbz, Oct 7, 2007.

1. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

I just realized my Airport Express is dead. No LED when I plug it in, and I've tried holding down the reset while plugging it in. I got it in 2004 I think, basically the day they came out. So I'm not too upset about not getting my money's worth, but what is the life expectancy of these things? Also, what could cause one with no other symptoms to up and die? Any help would be much appreciated.
    I guess Apple knew I had $100 burning a hole in my pocket from my iPhone refund and decided I needed an Airport Extreme.

PS are there any undocumented tips or tricks to bringing one back to life?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Most wireless routers I have seen last about 3 years. Some a bit longer some less. My D-Link 624 is on its last legs now, just over 3 years old.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My Belkin is still going strong. It was only $10 too. :D

I had a user's Airport Express die a similar death back in 2005.

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

i've had mine since they introduced them, and it is still going strong.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I've had mine just over two years. I've sort of been expecting it to go at anytime.

My mom bought a Macbook this spring and an AE as well, however, when she ordered her internet, the ISP brought a wireless router. So I bought the AE from her thinking mine would soon go bad.

It's still going strong however, so I have an unopened AE just sitting around.

One thing I do at night is unplug the AE and my DSL modem. Both of them get pretty hot so I think they'll last longer this way.

6. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

My little netgear has been going strong for the better part of 3 years now. I dont see any signs of imminent death *knock on wood* but I suppose conventional life expectancy of gadgets would come into play. Apple seems to give their iPods a 3-4 year life expectancy, so why not other products as well?

Planned obsolescence is the new wave in business these days.