AirPort Express dead?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by smurfy, Sep 2, 2007.

1. smurfy macrumors member

It is very rare for an Apple product not to be updated for over a year, and as far as I know, the AirPort Express hasn't been updated since its introduction in 2004.

Have Apple forgotten about this product? It still has non-gigabit ethernet and Wireless G.

Do you think Apple will ever update it?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I was personally surprised that neither the AEBS nor the :apple:tv incorporated the AirTunes feature.

That being said, I don't think it's dead yet. As quickly as Apple is moving into video, audio is the market they own. So they need this feature, I think, although since most of us have our TV and receiver relatively co-located, it'd be easier if one device did both.

However, as for what you said... 802.11n is a gimme. Gigabit ethernet... I think you're overestimating the worth of that. The Airport Express's one port is a WAN port by design. Your home WAN-side connection is not running faster than 100mbps.... You can use it as a LAN-side connection, and granted in principle 802.11n can occasionally exceed 100mbps. But it's still a single LAN port, in this case. Unless you have two LAN ports (so that you can do wired intranet transfers between two computers), it seems unlikely you'd benefit from gigabit ethernet.

I guess they could just add it for the hell of it, though....

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I would have liked to see them drop the price as I think it serves its purpose admirably in its current form. Having said that, I will soon be switching over to an AEBS and would have liked to keep the network n only.

4. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

Hope not..

I love my AirPort Express, it's probably the most amazing little piece of equipment I've bought from Apple... aside from my various computers.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I completely agree. That little piece of engineering is beautiful. Too bad after a year it sort of goes flakey ... but still works great for music.

6. Jimmery macrumors member

I've heard of this before. What actually happens? Have you seen this yourself?

7. sturigdson macrumors regular

Huh, news to me.
    I've had my AE for about 2.5 years now, and haven't had any troubles at all with it. What are these problems that come up...??