AirPort Express' digital out...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by solaris, Jul 7, 2007.

1. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

I have some 24-bit/96KHz audio files (Apple Lossless) on my Mac.
    If streamed over AirTunes to an AirPort Express, will the signal from the AirPort Express' digital out have the exact same sample-size/rate as the source file? Or will iTunes sample down to 16-bit/44.1KHz before streaming the signal?

Anyone know?

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

well it has to encode it into a format that your audio system understands, so no it won't be the same signal, and i think its at 16bit/44.1KHz. but I'll check for you.

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I am just curious. What is the signal you are using that is higher than 16bit 44.1? Assuming not from a CD. Do home stereos handle a better signal rate at this point?

4. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

max sampling is 44.1KHz and max bit is 24 though, you'll more than likely use 16bit with your audio system, you really don't need more. edit: so yes it will down sample, but it will still sound amazing.

5. solaris thread starter macrumors 6502a

solaris

My audio system, meaning iTunes 7.3 on OS 10.4.10, can handle and play back 24-bit/96KHz files perfectly.
    I know that the digital out on the latest MacBook Pro's can handle 24-bit and 44.1-192kHz sampling rate (link). But I am really unsure if the AirPort Express have the same capacity.

Apple Lossless files, sourced from original master tapes.

[​IMG]