Airport Express doesn't recogzine LAN-Connection

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lars666, Aug 24, 2008.

1. lars666 macrumors 6502a

Hello everybody,

okay everybody, I'm normally not the kind of guy who asks for forum help, but now - after 2 days of trying - I'm totally desperate. The case: I want to plug in the Ethernet LAN cable from my DSL cable modem to my Airport Express so that it provides me with W-LAN for my notebook (Sony VAIO, soon to be MacBook Pro owner). The problem: The Airport Express doesn't recognize the Ethernet Internet - it just tells me that there is nothing plugged into its WAN port. (But the cable is!) If I plug the same cable directly into my notbook WAN port, it works fine so I guess there's no defect in the cable ... Settings are PPPoE (needed to connect to my Internet). Any other information needed? Just let me know. If anybody out there has a hint for me, PLEASE let me know. I wonder if this is a Windows thing? On the other hand - as the Airport Express doesn't recognize that the Ethernet cable is plugged in - it doesn't matter if MAC or Windows cause this is even a step before the computer itself comes in play. (Am I right?) As said before: I'm desperate and so tired ... Thanks a million in advance!!!

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

what are the settings for the airport express? try to match the settings on my airport express, i had the same problem as you did. the last two settings are part of the internet tab.

use airport utility to find the device and choose manual setup and check the settings.

Attached Files:

3. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi and thanks for your help. I'm afraid I have the exact settings like you - I have a different version (7.3.2), but this could be because of Windows (or if your screenshot is old). I have 1 wireless client instead of 3, but that should also be correct. IP-Adress and IDs are also different, of course. The other settings are the same.

I'm just wondering if this really is a setting problem or a hardware DSL Modem/Airport Express problem that the APE doesn't recognizes the pluged-in Ethernet cable. I hate those problems where you have no clue if all the setting thing is really worth trying or if it just isn't possible ...

If anybody has another hint, please let me know. I also searched the net hoping that this problem at least was more common, but only found a few problem reports with solutions that doesn't work for me. Thanks again to SnowLeopard and others!

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'm on a mac so yea... the firmware version is the latest on the mac though. but that is irrelevant. try resetting it, and maybe switch ethernet cables. if those don't work, declare it defective and exchange it at the apple store or which ever store you bought it from. sorry i couldn't be of any more help :(

5. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi - thanks again for your help. I'm planning to try another cable as soon as I get my hands on it (mabye it really is the cable although it works perfectly finde when connected to my computer). Have a nice sunday!

6. kolax macrumors G3

Is there any indication at all that it knows the ethernet cable has been plugged in? Any errors reported in AirPort Utility?

If possible, could you post screen shots of your settings?

7. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi Kilamite,

thanks for your answer - I'm not good at screenshots, but it says that there is no connection plugged to the WAN port at all. It just doesn't recognize the cable and tells me to plug something in. (It shows me the graphic of the port à la "plug in now!", but it IS plugged in ...) One thing left to mention, but I think it might lead to the wrong direction: From time to time the displayed error disappears for under a second as if there now is a connection for a very, very short moment. But it really is THAT short that you barely notice the changing. I know, I know - this sounds as if the cable isn't plugged in correctly or as if there is another loose contact somewhere or as if the cable is defective. But everything really is plugged in correctly and the cable works perfectly on my notebook. I don't think that there REALLY is established a connection for this short moment when the AirPort Utility program says the problem is gone (also tried to refresh the browser again and again to see if there is really a chance to load a chance in this short moment). Anyway, I will try out another cable in the next days nevertheless. Mabye for some reason I don't understand the Ethernet cable I use really works fine on my notebook but not on my Airport Express. Would have already tried it, but it is Sunday and I haven't got a chance to get a new one for testing here. I only hope there isn't any problem for the AirPort Express to communicate with my modem hardware. It's hard to find help in the net as almost everbody these days already seems to have WiFi Modems so they don't use the AEP Ethernet Port to connect to the Internet. If I already had a WiFi modem and just wanted to include the AEP, it would be no problem I think.

As to the screenshots: I'll try to make some of them if additional informations are helpful (although they are on German). Just let me know. Thanks!!!

8. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried to make some screenshots (I'm REALLY bad at this, sorry for the crap). I give you the most important thing first as I think this is the key to the solution: the "problems" page. It refreshes every few seconds and always switches automatically between these three problems (witch depend on another). Sometimes it shows all three problems, sometimes only two of them, somethis only one. Without changing or doing anything. The cables are safely plugged. I attach all three constantly switching problems screens. If you need translation, let me know. Sorry again for the crappy shots and thanks!!

Settings are following ...

Attached Files:

9. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried to make some screenshots (I'm REALLY bad at this, sorry for the crap). I give you the most important thing first as I think this is the key to the solution: the "problems" page. It refreshes every few seconds and always switches automatically between these three problems (witch depend on another). Sometimes it shows all three problems, sometimes only two of them, sometimes only one. The showed problems are (translated by me):

PPPoE-Server (I have a PPPoE connection and need to type in name and password)

Internet connection

Ethernet not connected (it is ...)

Without changing or doing anything. The cables are safely plugged. I attach all three constantly switching problems screens. If you need translation, let me know. Sorry again for the crappy shots and thanks!!

Settings are following ...

10. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry for the double post, originally only wanted to edit my previous post ...

Settings:

Attached Files:

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

sorry, i think the language is german, which i;m not exactly fluent in. there is a "3 probleme ger something" in one of the screenshots, try consulting the manual for that.. the amber light part.

12. kolax macrumors G3

The Airport Express is reporting 3 errors. They are: Internet Connection Error (fails to get an IP), Ethernet Connection Error and PPPoE Server Error.

Are you completely sure you have set up your PPPoE settings correctly? The username and password is correct and the other bits are all correct?

13. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, username and password are correct. I think the two PPPoE and IP errors are only consequences because of the main problem - no detected Ethernet cable although it is plugged in. I believe even if username and password were wrong, at least the basic Ethernet connection should be detected and not be reported as "not there". It is strange - to be honest, I already gave up after trying and trying ... I will try out another cable tomorrow -my last very small hope although I wouldn't understand why it works on my computer, but not at the AirPort Express. If that doesn't work, I will have to wait with until I get my new MacBook Pro as soon as the new models are released.

If there are any other suggestions, let me know. Thanks guys!!!

14. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay everybody, I bought a new cable - same problem but at least I discovered:The short second when it shows "no problems" (before automatically show the problems again) it indeed creates an Internet connection! I was able to half load a page after pressing refresh again and again on my browser. But it really always is almost shorter than a second! As if the cable isn't safely plugged in, but it is. With this knowledge, could it still be a setting problem or is my DSL modem not compatible with the Airport Express? It is a normal DSL cable modem, about 2 years old, works fine when directly plugged to my computer. Don't know what to do anymore ...

15. kolax macrumors G3

Turn the DSL modem off (unplug it at the mains) then plug it back in, then connect to the Airport Express, see if that sorts anything.

16. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No difference, sorry. But thanks for your help. It's time for me to give up I think. I'll put this thing back in the box (could only give it back to the store if it was defective, but I don't think so - I guess the problem is my internet/modem hardware) and wait until I get my MacBook Pro in a few weeks. Hoping that the wonder happens and it works with my Mac better than with my Windows PC ... (although if really my internet/modem hardware is the key, it probably shouldn't work better ... I'll wait and see ...)

17. bengel macrumors newbie

Hey lars666,

Has a solution been found for this problem?

I am having trouble getting internet access on my iBook G4 with my newly bought Airport Express 802.11n Wi-Fi. I was connected to the internet via an Arcor DSL-speed modem 200, using the PPPoE protocol, and an Ethernet cable. That still works fine.

I have now attached AX to my DSL modem via the Ethernet cable. I have set up Airport Express (AX) to use PPPoE and a network location where PPPoE is disabled. Doing so, I managed to get internet connection for 5 to even 35 secs (WOW!). But then the connection is lost, and i get the message that my Ethernet is unplugged - which it obviously is not. Sounds familiar?

AX keeps trying continuously to connect to the internet, as if it is stuck in a loop, but never manages to make the connection last. Two problems keep being listed:
    Ethernet unplugged
    PPPoE server

cheers
    Another desperate one.

18. The Ditch macrumors newbie

Didn't read the whole thing through, this has already probably been said but the difference for me was changing the DHCP beginning address from the default one to 192.168 and all my problems were fixed. It was my slingbox that wasn't showing a connection when plugged directly into the TC, but all computers that are plugged in work now.