Airport Express doesn't work with Dell laser printer 1700n?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rightlyso, Nov 15, 2008.

1. rightlyso macrumors member

I can't get the Airport Express to work with this printer.

The Dell 1700n laser printer is network ready, so it has both a USB port and an ethernet port.

Ethernet is usually very easy to set up. I just plug it into my other router and it works. With the Airport Express, the orange light blinks forever.

With USB, Bonjour sees the printer and appears to set it up properly, but the test page doesn't print (I'm using Windows XP).

Anything I should be aware of to make the printer work with Airport Express, either through USB or ethernet?

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I have a wireless printer, and it was a hassle. I cloned the network settings on my old broken router. Entered same network settings on APX and had the two sync together. Can you just use it over USB?

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

how is the express set up?
    create, join, or extend a wireless network? or WDS?

if set to join, you must make sure the "allow ethernet clients" box is checked, if you want the ethernet port to do anything. and that only works on the newer N express, if you have a B/G you can't use the ethernet port at all.

as far as extend and WDS i believe it passes ethernet, but i'm not sure.

don't know why your test page isn't printing on USB though.

4. rightlyso thread starter macrumors member

It's a new Airport Express. It's set to "Join a Wireless Network" and the "Allow Ethernet Clients" box is checked. I can't get the ethernet or USB thing working with this printer. Ethernet does work with another network printer (Epson 4000). Any thoughts?