airport express dropouts

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by inscrewtable, Jan 29, 2011.

1. inscrewtable macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

I have recently updated to 7.5.2 on my extreme and express networks. The speakers connected to my airport express seem to be intermittently dropping connection. This has not happened before. I downgraded both extreme and express to their previous 7.4.2 thinking that was the problem.

However the problem has continued. The airport express is only a few metres from my g5 imac so it is not a reception problem.

I was wondering if it could be a malfunction of the express unit itself. It does get pretty warm, not too hot to touch or anything like that, but fairly warm nevertheless. The ambient temperature in the room is about 80ºF.

If I start a song in itunes it plays for a few seconds then cuts out, it's stays out for a minute and then might attempt to come on again. However if I start the song from the beginning after it cuts out it seems to always start OK for a few seconds.

does this sound like a hardware problem and it is possible to perform a diagnostic test to confirm this?

2. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

I have exactly the same issue.

My AirPort Express has been functioning properly for longer than a year. I used it in combination with my speakers and loved to play my music through AirTunes. After updating the firmware of the device to 7.5.2, I have these dropouts every 10-15 minutes. Downgrading the firmware doesn't solve the problem.

Does anyone know how we can address this weird issue?

3. Rhobes macrumors 6502

Rhobes

I have the exact same issues it seems. It plays the longest uninterrupted session first off, then after ~ 10 songs it cuts out about ever 1-2 songs.

While the speakers are off the song keeps playing in iTunes & if left on it will pop back on in a few minuets each time, only to start the cycle over & over.

It's a real pain. My AE did this right out of the box, my speakers are brand new, my iMac is brand new. I've read all the posts & tried ALL the recommended fixes, changed to every channel, hundreds of resets in every conceivable way. I say my friends, we been had...

When it starts in now I click around, thinking I'll stumble on something then I get real and shut it off and switch back to the computer internal speakers if I'm still inclined to listen further.

Life with Apple, isn't it great! I've thrown the towel in on this one and I'm much happier :D I pretend I'm in solitary confinement at San Quintin and once every 2 months I get to hear 5 favorite songs on streamed in music to my cell, I relish it! Sometimes an extra song plays but I don't tell the guards for fear I would be totally cut off. You will be happy with what you get if you play it this way...:D

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

i've found that rebooting the main base station sometimes helps, although i don't use an apple router.

have you tried a different channel? or added any new gear recently? microwave ovens, some cordless phones and baby monitors, and bluetooth devices all work in the 2.4 GHz range, and can cause interference.

just because you are only a few feet away doesn't always meen that it's not interference. both devices are still connecting to the main base, and not to each other. The card in your imac could be more sensitive, and work with less signal. or there could be something close to the express that's causing noise.

5. inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

There are no other new forms of interference. I was about to ask to explain how to change channels but I thought I should take your advice to reboot first, I'm not sure what you meant, I assumed you meant just unplug it, turn is off and on as you would do a PC, but to be sure to be sure, I did a hard reset.

It worked. Fingers crossed it's only been a few minutes, but it was going off every few seconds.

I'd still like to know about the channel thing.