Airport Express drops connection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Caysnowman, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Caysnowman macrumors newbie

I have two wifi networks each using identical airport extreme router but different cable companies. The networks are separated by a substantial distance. To my knowledge both are set up identical and using the latest software revision and are accessed by the same MB and MBP.

The problem I am having is that in one location I drop a connection about 2 times a day. The TV signal remains. By turning off Airport Extreme for about 30 seconds and then powering it back up, the connection returns. When I go to reset the router, the indicator light on the AE router is always green.

This cable company claims it is my problem.

The other location (different cable company) has never dropped a signal.

Again, I use the same MBP and MBooks on both networks.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I cannot change the "bad" cable company as there is only one choice in this location.

Thanks, Bill

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

How old is the Express?

Both my Expresses has starting doing this with random, but increasing regularity - along with diminishing network speed - before dying.

One lasted just short of a year (lots of the early Expresses died around that age, it seems), the replacement quite a bit longer.

3. Caysnowman thread starter macrumors newbie

The "good" one is about 2 years old; the "bad" one is a bit over a year.

Seems like they should last a bit longer than that but ......... If it gets worse I'll think more about replacing it. Until then, I'll just use a bit more shoe leather.

Bill

4. miknos Suspended

miknos

I NEVER had connection drops with my Airport Express (n). I think I used it for around 2 years practically everyday. When I travel, I take it with me. The router is working the whole day, since I'm not the only one using the signal and I leave downloading content overnight.

If your router is not working properly it's not because it's "old". Strangely you have two.

Before the A-Express, I had a Belkin 54(g) and it was CONSTANT (drops). I'm staying in a friend's house right now and I'm having similar problem with a D-Link.
    Another friend of mine had a Belkin "better" model with two antennas and he said the drops are from cheap routers. Guess what? It had SOME (not as constant as the other two) drops too.