Airport express ethernet out?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BigDukeSix, Oct 30, 2012.

1. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

I have an Airport Extreme for my wireless network in my home. I just purchased a SimpleTV device, which is not wireless and requires being plugged in to an ethernet to work. My question is this: Can I use the Express in the living room, so it receives my existing AE network, then connect the SimpleTV device to it in to provide internet connectivity?
    Thx in advance.

2. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Yes. Connect the TV to the LAN port on the AE. If it's like the older AE you may need to "enable client ethernet access" through the Airport Utility.

3. BigDukeSix thread starter macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

I suspected that it would indeed work that way, but I always like to tap in to 'the collective' to get the best answer before I spend any more $.

4. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Oops. I see the SimpleTV is a streaming device not an actual TV. Have you used one before? It sounds interesting.

5. BigDukeSix thread starter macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

Here is the info for the device: https://www.simple.tv/

I do not have it in hand yet, but expect it within a week or two. I will post back and let you know how I like it.

6. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

But it would work on an actual internet TV though, right? I never thought of using the AE with my SMART TV, and it would save me $20 from having to buy a wifi stick for it.

My old router had 4 ethernet ports, but I just bought an AirPort Extreme, so something had to lose a connection.

7. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Yes. It'll work for any device that needs a standard ethernet cable connection.

8. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

Cool, thanks, I'll give it a try!