AirPort Express Ethernet Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by VaatiKaiba, Jan 18, 2009.

1. VaatiKaiba macrumors 6502

The Apple site is quite vague on this point, and maybe I'm being stupid, but I thought I'd clarify before buying one. I have a Time Capsule as my main router, but I want to move it, but when I do it's out of range of one of my computers. Can I plug the Express in near the computer, and then Ethernet it up to the computer, or is that Ethernet port meant to go into the TC?

Thanks!

2. playalistic macrumors regular

Yeah you can do this, I have mine setup the exact same way!

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

yes, you can have the express join your existing wireless network, and then connect something to the ethernet jack. (only on the newer N models, been out about a year).

I believe on the older ones they would allow ethernet connections if they were in WDS mode, but that tends to kill you network speeds

Although if the computer is not connecting, chances are the express won't connect either.

If that's the case, you could alway put the express somewhere in between the TC and your computers
    • Hardwire ethernet would be best (same SSID and network settings, different channels, express connection sharing in "off (bridge mode)") and your machines will automatically join the stronger network, and switch between them as needed)
    • WDS (or wirelessly extend) - just plug the express into a power outlet somewhere in the middle, and under wirelss set it up to "extend a wireless network" but you speed will drop (approximately in half) by doing it this way.

4. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

That's great guys, thanks. Just outta interest - when you're setting it up (in AirPort Utility) would you select 'extend wireless network' and then connect it up, or which other selection would you choose?