AirPort Express / Ethernet

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hyperpasta, May 13, 2007.

1. hyperpasta macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

Our family is interested in buying an AirPort Express for my mother. We currently use an Ethernet network, but we plan to buy an 802.11g router, probably not made by Apple.

The problem is this: none of our computers have 802.11g wireless installed. We don't really feel like paying for wireless cards in our computers, so we want to keep using our wired connections. We plan to buy a wireless router with Ethernet ports, and connect our computers to the router with wires. The wireless feature will be used only for the AirPort Express, our Nintendo Wii, and any wireless-enabled computers we may purchase later on.

That brings me to my question. Will we able to control the AirPort Express from a computer that is attached to a wireless router via Ethernet? Does anyone else use a similar setup? Will all of this work with a non-Apple router? :confused:

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

2. winchest macrumors regular

You should have no problems controlling the Airport Express through your ethernet. You could even plug one of your wired computers into the Airport express to act as a wireless gateway for the computer. I currently use the Airport express in my office upstairs for my printer/stereo and access it from downstairs with a computer wired through my router. Granted it is an apple router so it is seamless, but you can use the Airport Express with other routers too.