Airport Express Extend the Range of Any Network?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by billabong, Apr 28, 2008.

1. billabong macrumors 6502

I will be moving very soon and my landlord has wireless internet. I'm doubting it's N prob just 802.11b or g. But what I'm wondering is if I can use the Airport Express to extend the range of the network for my AppleTV?

I don't think there router is a Airport Extreme, it's a basic Dlink or Linksys or something like that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Also would the Airport Express act as an Airport receiver for my MacPro that doesn't have a Airport chip in it?

2. macdot macrumors 6502

You could configure the APE to act as an Airport card (for lack of a better term) for either the AppleTV or MacPro.

3. wesg macrumors regular

wesg

Linksys routers (WRT45G in particular) can be hacked with firmware to enable Airport base stations to distribute the signal, but that may not be something your landlord is very fond about. I believe one option for you would be to set up the Express to use the wireless connection and create your own network from that.

4. billabong thread starter macrumors 6502

So the Express will Receive the Signal and let me create my own network with it for the AppleTV? Is that correct?

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

It should, I mean I used an AirPort Express N to use with my Powermac G5 w/o the AirPort Card to get wireless connection to my AEBSn and to stream music to it with it being my Media Hub.
    Thus extended my network alittle further for a labtop to access which was in the lower level to get a little boost in speed

It might help as the Express can pick up the signal and generate it and your AppleTV can bounce closer and just make the Express facilitate that communication.

goodluck

6. billabong thread starter macrumors 6502

Is your network an Airport Extreme network or just a regular Dlink or whatever? I guess I can always try and see if it work, and return it if it doesn't do what I need...