Airport Express Extended Network issue

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by carrollf, Oct 20, 2011.

1. carrollf, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

carrollf macrumors regular

carrollf

I have a AEBS as my main wireless router (dual-band 2.4 GHz and 5GHz active) and also an airport express set to extend network and in bridge mode. The express is connected to the 5GHz network. Trouble is, the airport express sometimes seems to lose the connection to the internet (not the wireless itself) but the 2.4GHz network is always ok. As the express is only extending the 5GHz network, there is obviously some issue with it and not the AEBS!
    I was wondering if it something to do with DHCP? Do I need to reserve a specific IP for the express? Is my AEBS renewing the lease for the express and thus affecting internet access?? This is just a guess but I cannot figure out what is going on.

Are there any other subtle setup options that I have missed?

2. carrollf thread starter macrumors regular

carrollf

Just to clarify my question...

Should I assign a static IP to my Airport Express or leave the DHCP server on my AEBS assign a random IP? Does it make any difference?

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I am having the same issue when using bridge mode, so my wi-fi is half as good as it should. I am hoping it is a software issue.

4. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

If you are using the Express to extend your network wirelessly, then you will automatically cut you speed in half. It's using your network to extend as well as connect you to the internet. If you want full speed and to extend your network with the Express then they need to be wired together if possible.

5. carrollf thread starter macrumors regular

carrollf

Thanks

So I would have to connect my Airport Extreme BS to my Express with Ethernet cable to get top speed? This is something I didn’t know as I thought that the Express would just repeat the signal in some way and boost it.

The issue I am having is specifically with the 5GHz network. 2.4Ghz works perfectly. This is what is so strange!

6. getaperspective macrumors newbie

The Express isn't dual band like the Extreme, is it? So it will drop if a slower device is on the network?

7. jackrv macrumors 6502

I agree. I am not home right now so I cannot verify, but AFAIK, an express can only extend one of the two bands. If someone finds I am wrong, I apologize but this is what I assume from the product specs.