AirPort Express (Extender) is slow

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by super tomtendo, Apr 3, 2015.

1. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Hello,

I have an AirPort Extreme that is my main router hooked to the cable modem and on the second floor, I have a AirPort Express acting as an extender.

Problem is; when I'm connected to the router, my speeds trouble 50-60%.

Also, I have to have the Express on version 7.6.2 or it always disconnects from the Extreme... oddly enough.

2. super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

3. mic j macrumors 68030

Not an expert, but since my situation is similar to yours and I tried using the AE as an extender (using wifi), I also seen a drop in performance. Upon a little Googling research, I found that that sort of drop is not unusual because the AEBS bandwidth about halved due to the need for communication between the AEBS and AE. You might want to investigate that yourself and see if you see the same explanation.

I have solved that problem by using wall outlet adapters to basically hardwire the AE and AEBS together and eliminating the bandwidth problem. It's been working great.

4. super tomtendo, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015

super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

What product are you talking about? Link?

5. mic j macrumors 68030

Yes, TP-Link AV500. Of course wall adapters utility really varies, so get them from somewhere you can return them if they don't work in your situation.

6. super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

So do you set up the express and an extender with these or? What settings?

7. mic j macrumors 68030

Plug in one adapter into a wall outlet near enough to the AEBS to connect to be able to connect them by ethernet cable. Plug the other adapter into a wall outlet near where ever you want your AE. Connect the AE (unplugged) to it using ethernet cable. Reset the AE (using a paperclip) and plug it into a power outlet. It will set itself up.

BYW: I got some excellent help from a forum member here in doing this, so you can do a search on using wall adapters and the thread should show up. It has some detail in it.

8. super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Thanks, I ordered a pair on Amazon today and they arrive tomorrow(on easter)... I LOVE AMAZON :D

9. mic j macrumors 68030

Yep, got mine there too. Good luck.

10. super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

it seems to have worked... get both 30mbps (speedtest.net) on both routers now.