Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Hello. I bought a new Airport Express today to extend my network upstairs for our laptop, iPhones, etc., who would connect but the connection was weak. It appears to be set up correctly to extend the network, shows the green light, etc., but I don't seem to be getting much of an increase in signal strength. I can hold my iPhone right next to it, for instance, and still not get full bars on the signal.

I'm thinking it is somehow still connecting to my AEBS, but there doesn't appear to be any way to tell.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Do you have the express in a location where the extreme's signal is strong?

Keep in mind it's not going to amplify the signal, just extend it. If the express is sitting in a place where the extreme's signal is at 1 bar, you can't expect the express to increase it.

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
I set up my Airport Extreme and Express in this way and it gives me full bars in parts of my house that previously got only one or two. My Extreme is in the living room set as WDS Main and my Express is upstairs in the office set as WDS Remote. This allows me to have a strong signal on all three floors of my house.

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
I continue to have problems with this. I inexplicably lose internet (though not signal) when I move from floor to floor-- it is as if the remote isn't passing traffic from the base.

Was hoping that this was going to be easier, but it looks like I'll have to spend some more time troubleshooting. As it stands, the Express is unplugged.

iFizz

macrumors regular
First, make sure you've followed Apple's directions on extending your network. It takes a little configuring. Next, try moving the Airport Express closer to the AEBS. To do this properly unplug it first. Now take your mobile device to a place between the AEBS and the place you want to extend your network to. Find a place where your mobile device is still getting a strong signal from the AEBS. Put the Airport Express there. As stated before, you need a strong signal for your Aiport Express to work off of. Finally, wireless networks are quirky when you add elevation gained/loss into the equation. The wireless network's signal is going to be the strongest in a flat circle around the AEBS. Think of your coverage as a disc surrounding the AEBS, not a ball. This is why you need your Airport Express still within good signal strength of the AEBS.
EDIT: Also, are you using 2.4 GHz? You should for this implementation. The lower frequency travels through your house better.

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2008
I just bought the AEBS and an AE. I originally set it up using the utility to extend my wireless network, but when I plugged the XBOX360 into the AE it didn't get a good connection. Then I went to set up a WDS network and I was slightly annoyed that I couldn't find a way using the utility to automatically run me through the setup. I did a manual config to make the WDS and I couldn't originally get it to work because the AE couldn't find the wireless network. I then hardwired the AE to my macbook and set up the WDS remote and all is working fantastic. All in all this was a breeze to setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.