Airport Express Extending Network

FamiliaPhoto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm trying to add an express to extend my home network...I already have two expresses doing that now. While going through the process everything seems to go fine but on the last step it comes back with an unknown error.

This is a new express and I'm trying to extend my 5ghz wifi where the others don't extend that frequency.

I've reset the express several times with no success, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
I'm trying to add an express to extend my home network...I already have two expresses doing that now. While going through the process everything seems to go fine but on the last step it comes back with an unknown error.

This is a new express and I'm trying to extend my 5ghz wifi where the others don't extend that frequency.

I've reset the express several times with no success, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
How is the network configured? Do you have network cable running to all the Express's or are they connected wireless?

FamiliaPhoto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
If you put the new Express too far away, it's not going to get a signal from the router. You have to put it about halfway point between router and your devices that will connect to it.
Thanks, unfortunately it is sitting about 3 feet from the base station. I figured I would relocate it after it was configured. :-(

FamiliaPhoto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
On the final step where it says it is waiting for the express it the Airport Utility is waiting for the express and then comes back with an Unknown Error.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.