Airport Express + External HDD + Time Machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wordy, Mar 19, 2008.

1. wordy macrumors regular

wordy

Hi, I don't own an airport express, but after yesterday's refresh, I'm thinking about picking one up.

Today there's news that external HDD now work with Airport Extremes, so I'm wondering, will I be able to hook up an external HDD to the Express and use it with Time Machine??

Thanks in advance!

2. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

Express does not support AirDisk, so backing up with Time Machine is not possible

3. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

According to Apple specs, the USB port on the Airport Express is for printers only.

4. Cyclotrode macrumors regular

Cyclotrode

5. aristobrat macrumors G5

I wish Apple would have picked names that sound a little more different than Express and Extreme. :eek:

Express + External HDD = fail. As others have pointed out, the Express only does USB printers, not USB external HDDs.

Extreme + External HDD = good for Time Machine (after tonights updates, anyways).

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That news article focuses on the Airport Extreme, not Express. While the Express is mentioned in that thread, reports so far are inconclusive as to whether the newest model express (802.11n) supports "Airport Disk" or not.

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

It works with the current generation Airport Extreme, not Airport Extreme. There is a difference.

jon