Airport Express Extreme Etc.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by redchannel, Mar 1, 2009.

1. redchannel macrumors regular

redchannel

I was wanting to purchase a wireless base station from apple but non of their models seem to satisfy any of my needs. what I'm wanting to stream music wirelessly to my sound system with my mac. I'm also wanting to use time machine to back up OSX. Airport express wont support an external hard drive, Airport extreme wont support air tunes neither and i think Time Capsules storage capacities options don't justify its price. is there an alternative ?

2. dewser35 macrumors newbie

I basically just use an airport express to stream my music. I was trying for a LONG time to get my external terabyte hard drive to work on a NAS that I had laying around, but time machine has issues with using unsupported volumes wirelessly. I finally just gave in and use time machine with a USB port wired and that seems to work fine. If I am at home, I usually have it plugged in for power so the extra cord isn't as much of a hassle as I imagined... just not quite as elegant of a solution as I'd hoped.

3. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

I'm not sure how your budget is but I have:

- Airport Extreme + 2 External HD's One for Media and One for Backups I only plug one in at a time(I haven't found a Hub that let's me use both, although I've only bought/returned one :) )
    - Apple TV stream/sync your media to be played on your TV, slideshow will play while music plays which is cool.