Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmrnavydoc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Virginia
I used to have only an airport express in my apt which worked great, both with printing and itunes, no issues at all. We then moved and during the move, i bought a new extreme to get faster/wider coverage and use the express as a relay (and have printer hooked up to extreme and stereo hooked up to express in another room). Since installing the extreme, i cannot set up the express -- my MBP will not recognize it, even when hooked up directly via ethernet cable. Any ideas why this happens/what i can do to fix it? Thanks.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Won't reconise it? As in when you go to your wireless connections it refuses to join?

Tried setting it up using the Airport Utility?

jmrnavydoc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Virginia
Won't reconise it? As in when you go to your wireless connections it refuses to join?

Tried setting it up using the Airport Utility?

Already tried setting it up with airport utility -- the software won't even recognize that there is an express there to set up and it won't show in my wireless connections. When plugged into the wall, it's just flashing orange. Any ideas?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
The Airport Express activity light will flash amber if there is no internet connection (or it can't connect for whatever reason). You can still access it through Airport Utility so bit strange how it doesn't show up at all.

What version of Airport Utility are you using?

jmrnavydoc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Virginia
The Airport Express activity light will flash amber if there is no internet connection (or it can't connect for whatever reason). You can still access it through Airport Utility so bit strange how it doesn't show up at all.

What version of Airport Utility are you using?

Version 5.2.1 -- i think it's the one that came with the new extreme. Also can't find the cd for the express to load that airport utility.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The Airport Utility that cane with your Extreme can be used on your Express.

I'd start Airport Utility on your computer, move the Express to an outlet very close to your computer, find a pen/paperclip and hold the Express' reset button down until the orange light starts blinking, wait a few seconds and then on your computer, see if you see a new WiFi network that starts with Apple on it. If so, select it, then wait for the Airport Utility to notice it, then run thru the wizard.

It took a few attempts (using those basic steps) when I got my new Extreme to get the old Express up and running. :)

jmrnavydoc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Virginia
The Airport Utility that cane with your Extreme can be used on your Express.

I'd start Airport Utility on your computer, move the Express to an outlet very close to your computer, find a pen/paperclip and hold the Express' reset button down until the orange light starts blinking, wait a few seconds and then on your computer, see if you see a new WiFi network that starts with Apple on it. If so, select it, then wait for the Airport Utility to notice it, then run thru the wizard.

It took a few attempts (using those basic steps) when I got my new Extreme to get the old Express up and running. :)

WORKED! Thanks a lot. Was going to take it to the apple store but never had time and never could make an appointment. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.