Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Motoxmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
Im looking to dump the modem/router combo from my cable provider and am considering replacing with an Airport Extreme. General usage; imac, iphones, macbook, gaming systems etc.

I had a question about the Express'. I have a security camera system that I can connect to the net for remote viewing, but where I want to put the DVR isn't anywhere near the router. If I went with the Airport Extreme could I put the Express next to the DVR and connect those to get the DVR connected to my network? I know next to nothing about networking so this may be a stupid question. I just see that the Express can extend your network and it has Ethernet plugs on the back so it seems like it might work.

Thanks

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2011
Im looking to dump the modem/router combo from my cable provider and am considering replacing with an Airport Extreme. General usage; imac, iphones, macbook, gaming systems etc.

I had a question about the Express'. I have a security camera system that I can connect to the net for remote viewing, but where I want to put the DVR isn't anywhere near the router. If I went with the Airport Extreme could I put the Express next to the DVR and connect those to get the DVR connected to my network? I know next to nothing about networking so this may be a stupid question. I just see that the Express can extend your network and it has Ethernet plugs on the back so it seems like it might work.

Thanks

Yes you can. The two should not be too far away from each other though, to make sure they have a strong and fast wireless connection.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
If I went with the Airport Extreme could I put the Express next to the DVR and connect those to get the DVR connected to my network? I know next to nothing about networking so this may be a stupid question. I just see that the Express can extend your network and it has Ethernet plugs on the back so it seems like it might work.

Yes. The Express can join the Extreme's network and essentially work as a wireless adapter for the DVR. That being said, performance is best handled over Ethernet so I recommend that you run Ethernet if you can from the Extreme to the DVR especially if you plan on pulling many gigabytes of footage off the DVR over the network.

Motoxmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
Yes. The Express can join the Extreme's network and essentially work as a wireless adapter for the DVR. That being said, performance is best handled over Ethernet so I recommend that you run Ethernet if you can from the Extreme to the DVR especially if you plan on pulling many gigabytes of footage off the DVR over the network.

Thanks for the info. I wont be pulling gigabytes of footage. Its more a of a quick check when we're out, or it notifying us when there's movement in the yard/garage etc. I'd run the cable if I could but its a rental house and not really worth the effort if the express will work even decently well.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Thanks for the info. I wont be pulling gigabytes of footage. Its more a of a quick check when we're out, or it notifying us when there's movement in the yard/garage etc. I'd run the cable if I could but its a rental house and not really worth the effort if the express will work even decently well.

The Express should work well. Otherwise, you can use powerline networking adapters potentially.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.