Airport express/extreme question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PeterQC, Nov 24, 2008.

1. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

I'm in college and in my room I can use internet without any problem. But when I get to my family's home, my Al Macbook got a real trouble to log into my router. I've searched over google and found that Macs aren't really compatible with Belkin routers. It really disappoint me, since I can connect to internet when I'm more than around 10 meters away from the router. I've considered buying a new router from another company, but I think that's too much trouble.

I'm wondering if Airport express can solve my problem, if it can pick-up my router signals so I can then connect my Macbook to it and connect to the internet. Anyone tried it?

EDIT: Ok nevermind. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=225216

But I do got a question. Am I better buying the Airport express or just buy a new router? 99$ Is a lot to just be able to connect, and I'm sure I can find cheaper router that would fit my family's needs.

2. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

My Mac works fine with a Belkin router. Have you tried changing channels?

3. PeterQC thread starter macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

I'm kind of a noob about it, you do it in the settings, right? And if I change, do I have to change it for all my devices?

4. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Yeah you change from auto to what is actually free in your netgear router settings. Try 192.168.1.1. Download Airport Radar and see what the surrounding wireless channels are and change it to be as far away as the strongest signals as possible. For example, if you have other people with channel 6 and 11 choose channel 1.

Also, make sure that there are no interfering 2.4GHz phones around. Make sure you have the latest firmware for that netgear router (update from a wired connection so you don't brick the router during firmware upgrade if the wireless goes down).

5. PeterQC thread starter macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Bump, came back to home.

Used your tool, and I do not see any other permanent wireless station. Sometimes there'll be one on the channel 6, but it didn't affected my wifi since it was at 11. Changed my router to channel, did nothing. We do have a wireless phones, but they're using Dect 6.0, so they can't interfere with wi-fi. With my Macbook I was able to connect to many wireless router that were more then 20 meters away, while at home I can't. The problem can't come from the router, since I have a Wii that is always connected to the router without any issue and I was also able to connect a DS and a PC notebook. I upgraded the firmware, still unsolved.

My router is a Belkin F5D7230-4 6000

6. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I believe it depends on the chipset manufacturers. I've seen some other threads with people having issues with certain wireless routers and especially belkin. Mine is Linksys (WRT54GL) and it is great. I've installed 4 of these things at my family's/friend's houses.

About your DS. Is it wireless b or g? I know my DS is g but I'm not sure if they used to be b in the past. I do know that you have to use WEP security on the router.

7. PeterQC thread starter macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Ok just looked back at it, and I don't the hell why, but my belkins ISN'T even showing in my list, it's actually Linksys! NOW that's crazy. I just remembered that my own router as is own name. That linksys is not mine... more strangely is that I'm able to connect to it even through it is protected and I can get an average signal.

My belkin is a G rated router, by the way.

Ok, now I just remembered that my router name as an accent in his name... removed it, and now it just work. Oh my god... problem solved! Airport does not support accents in the SSID of servers...

8. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Lol glad to hear it works now. ;)