Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harinezumi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2007
UK
Does anyone know if its possible to connect a usb mixer "Yamaha MW8cx" to airport express or extreme and use the mixer wirelessly? i want to do this since i have a monitor speaker connected to the mixer and would like to stream audio from my macbook pro to mixer then output to the speakers.

if this is not possible are there any other ways to do this?

many thanks in advance:)

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
The usb port on the express can only be used for a printer or iTunes remote such as this one.
on the extreme it can be used for printers and hard drives.

with an express, you can stream audio out from iTunes, but if you are trying to "mix" songs, you might have a problem, as there is a couple second lag due to streaming buffer.

there are usb network servers, which basically let you add a usb port over the network. Silex offers several models. that might give you something that you want.

harinezumi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2007
UK
Thank you for the answer waw74.
The usb port you suggested might be the thing i'm looking for, ill look into it more.

thanks again:)

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I've never used one, so just make sure it will work for what you need before you buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.