Airport Express for Travel

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GBX, Apr 8, 2010.

1. GBX macrumors newbie

I just set up my airport express attaching it to my router at home. Now i've tried it at work and i can connect to it but the computer isn't getting an IP. I plan to use the airport express when i travel, and only plan on having my ipad with me. I'm getting nervous that i'll need a laptop to set this up in each new hotel i'm in. Am i missing something? Is there a particular setting that will allow it to work without issue anywhere i go?

Also, is there a setup app for the ipad or an ip i can browse to to setup??

Thanks everyone.

2. Bukem macrumors newbie

The airport express can only be setup using the setup utility. No web based interface (yet?).

Fortunately that doesn't have to be a problem (I think). What you can do is setup the Airport Express to act as a bridge. This way, you would have to enter the username and password on the ipad instead of the AE.

The hotel router will always give out an IP address, and if the AE is configured as a bridge, it's your ipad that will be handed the ip address. Think of the AE as a wireless transparent wire. The hotel router shouldn't see it.

You can try it at home. Have your router handing out IP numbers through the built in DHCP server and configure the airport express as a bridge. If you plug it out and back in again the airport express will start again using it's last known configuration.

I might be all wrong, perhaps somebody more knowledgeable might chip in...

Bukem

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

You're correct. Should work. You may experience the weird hotel or two where it doesn't, but I usually don't have to adjust settings on my Airport Express when I travel.

Do note that while none really existed when the Express came out, there are now a few other brands of pocket-sized wifi routers like the Airport Express that do use a web-based configuration interface. If you're concerned about maximum hotel compatibility when you travel, one of these may be better for you for use with the iPad - they'll be configurable via the iPad's Safari browser unlike the Apple offerings.

Here's one I was thinking about buying for myself, though I've got no experience with it so far.
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/travel-outdoors/c67c/detail/