iPod touch Airport Express for Wi-fi

libraritine

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Victoria
If for example I wanted to go someones house (who doesnt have a wi-fi connection) and use their internet, could I just bring an Airport Express and plug the ethernet cable in and use that for the Touches wi-fi?
Or is it more complicated than that?

professor peach

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2007
Sorry - haven't got the answer but I'd like to know this, too.

I'll be going on holiday to Vegas early next year and staying at the Luxor, which I believe, doesn't have wi-fi in it's rooms but does have an ethernet port.

I take it that the Airport Express works with regular Macs & PCs in hotel rooms. Does anyone have any experience with how to set one of these little beauties for this, as I doubt that you can configure it on the fly using an ipod touch, if it works.

bsmith1

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2008
Did anyone ever come up with an answer on this. Can you configure access to an airport express from the Touch? Or do you have to use a computer first with airport utility?

Thanks.

Phil A.

Staff member
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

you have to configure if with a computer but once it's configured you should just be able to plug it into any Ethernet point that provides dhcp and use it.

professor peach

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2007
Sorry - haven't got the answer but I'd like to know this, too.

I'll be going on holiday to Vegas early next year and staying at the Luxor, which I believe, doesn't have wi-fi in it's rooms but does have an ethernet port.

I take it that the Airport Express works with regular Macs & PCs in hotel rooms. Does anyone have any experience with how to set one of these little beauties for this, as I doubt that you can configure it on the fly using an ipod touch, if it works.
Just a quick update.

I am writing this from the Luxor hotel in Las Vegas using my iPod Touch which is connected to the hotel's ethernet connection via my AirPort Express.
I had pre configured the AirPort Express to "Bridge" mode, using the AirPort utility on my MacBook, before I left.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.