Airport Express Frustration

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by twangthang, Jul 9, 2008.

1. twangthang macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro running Leopard, got it in January of this year.
    I am new to Mac.

I am in an office that has multiple wireless networks. Most don't have any protection on them. They come and go. They are pretty inconsistent. The most consistent one was called linksys, so I set up my Airport Express to run on that network. Now linksys is gone and I am trying to set it up on another network.

The Airport Express just blinks yellow. All I have is the Airport Express, no base station.

The Airport Admin utility does not find it.

I did a reset (i think, held the button ten seconds while it was plugged in)

Under network prefs, it shows the AIRPORT EXPRESS, and says it is connected to the other network I chose since linksys is no longer available.

In itunes, the little box that lets you choose computer or airport express is gone. Yes, I have checked the box "look for remote speakers" in itunes prefs.

I have wasted an hour today (and many previous) dealing with this just so I can have wireless speakers - any advice PLEASE!!!! I have tried other solutions on this forum, nothing works. What am I doing wrong???

2. twangthang thread starter macrumors newbie

can't print either

oh by the way I can't print with it either

3. Bambeezer macrumors regular

Try connecting to it with an ethernet cable to configure it. That will eliminate wireless problems for the setup.

4. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

this is just a guess but it might work. try going into airport util click configure manually go into the music tab and make sure airtunes is enabled and there is a name in the itunes speaker name box. while your there you might also want to consider setting a password since anybody on the network using itunes can see your speakers and set music to play at any random time

5. ihabime macrumors 6502

I'm not to familiar with the airport express, but doesn't a blinking yellow mean it doesn't have an IP address?

since you're leeching off someone else's wireless it's possible they don't have DHCP set up.

I'm not sure you even need to connect to an external wireless network, unless you want internet, you can probably just connect the express and your MBP with an ad hoc style network.

6. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

That's true, i'm assuming that your computer is in the same room as your ae so your gonna get the same internet connectivity from both and connecting directly with your mbp will give you more options. cause you need to setup your ae with only one network

If airtunes is what your really after all you need to do is setup your own network i've done it before. just open airport util and manually setup. click airport tab and click wireless it should already default to create your own network but if not make sure it's set to that. then name it and click update. if thats all your do chances are your gonna encounter a few errors just click ignore and update