Airport Express G with Airport Extreme N

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by marekkurlmann, Dec 9, 2008.

1. marekkurlmann macrumors regular

I'd like to buy an Airport Express to stream music to a set of speakers away from my computer. I already have an Airport Extreme N that I use as a base station. I'd like to buy the old Airport Express a/b/g to use solely for streaming audio--I can get it much cheaper than the new Airport Express a/b/g/n.

My concern: I don't want the Airport Express G to extend my existing network, which is broadcasting N. In other words, I don't want my network slowed down by the Express G.

Can I turn off the network-extending capabilities of the Express G to avoid this happening? Are there other ways to avoid this slow down?

Thanks!

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

how are you going to get the Aex on your network? If you use a wired connection, there's no problem (and you can use it as a second network access point). If it's connecting wirelessly to your AEBS, well, then you're stuck there because that's the G-speed transmission that's going to slow you dopn.

3. marekkurlmann thread starter macrumors regular

The Airport Express G will be connected wirelessly. What I'd like is for the Airport Express to just handle iTunes streaming. I don't want it to extend my network and slow it down to G speeds. Is this possible wirelessly?