Airport express: Garbage!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Macpropro80, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

I just bought an airport express yesterday after my linksys router fell off the desk and broke. I thought i would go with an airport because I use only macs and apple has always worked for me. So I set up the airport, no internet. I call apple they fix it. Today I wake up and try to go online, on some webpages load, others load 50% and some dont load at all! What is going on with my airport? Its horrid!

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

did you cycle power to your modem? they don't like to have the device plugged into them changed.

unplug the power from both the express and the modem, leave them out for 10 seconds or so, and plug back in.

the page loading issue sounds like it could be a DNS issuse, which might be cleared up by cycling power.

3. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Hum, you having 1 defective airport express doesn't mean it's garbage. Incendiary comments like this won't get you much help.

Now before we can assist you, perhaps you could provide us a few details on how you're setup exactly, configuration options you've changed from default, etc..

4. brentsg macrumors 68040

I find it funny that you needed help setting up an express... Yet the balls to call it garbage... while you ask for help.

5. Macpropro80 thread starter macrumors 6502

I did that yesterday with apple support, it fixed it, but Im not going to do it everyday, it should work everyday without it! My $25 linksys router did! It seems to like to load websites ive already been to but it hates new websites.

Oh yeah, on my modem the light that reads: PC blinks, i think my modem hates my airport. any thoughts?

6. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

It's possible, you may want to call your ISP and ensure that your router plays nice with Apple products.

Also, are you using the Airport Express or the AEBS?

What's your distance from the AE when you're having problems? (please don't exaggerate because you're upset)

Is your AE on another floor?

Does the signal pass through numerous walls; general wall material? (i.e. brick, etc...)

Do you have your AE setup fro b/g service or n?

How many devices are connecting at the same time?

Do you have all of the latest pluggins for safari/firefox?

These will give us a better idea of how we can assist you.

7. Macpropro80 thread starter macrumors 6502

Range: 1) imac: 2-5 feet 2) macbook: 25-40 feet +1 wall 3)mac pro: 20 feet+3 walls

AEBS or Airport express? whats the difference?

A/B/G/N? its set on default i think that means its G and N

4-7 Devices, sometimes as low as 1 or 2

Latest Plugins: Yes

Note: it is kind of strange, it loaded google maps in like 1 second but it took it 1 minute to load the apple homepage and 5 minutes for the BBC news.

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

AEBS = Airport Extreme Base Station = $179 full size unit

AE = $99 small portable unit = they work well when they work but they are prone to outside interference...sometimes you have to cycle the power several times a day... sometimes you don't have to do it for months at a time...

9. Macpropro80 thread starter macrumors 6502

its an AE

10. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Also depends on your living situation. I live in a small apartment, and I used my Airport Express as the primary router for a long time. It worked pretty well, but if you have a larger area, you may need something more powerful. Also, if you do live in an apartment, there may be a lot of wireless interference from neighbors. Get a program like iStumbler to see what channel the other signals are on, and try to pick one further away. Another thing to try is to lower the multicast rate by one setting or enable interference robustness. If possible, run in the 5GHz N-Only mode.

Of course, all the tweaks I mention above assume that it is not an ISP problem...

11. j2048b macrumors 6502a

will interference robustness cause any problems on the network?

have to ask because i am considereing enabling this.

but not sure as to if it will give me and advance in anything?

12. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Sounds like your unit might be defective.

I have 2 of these things which I use only has dedicated 5GHz access points, so I don't think they're garbage for what I use them for.

However, the routing functionality on all of the Apple wireless stuff is on the light side. I also have a TC which I'm in the process of selling to a friend.

My advice is to exchange it for another one if you want to stick to the AE's small size or to use it strictly as a bridged AP, or to return it and just get an updated Linksys.

Good luck...

John